Latest Update: Finalists to Attend Virtual Matchmaking Event
We are excited to announce the 53 tech companies from 20 countries that have been selected to attend the virtual TechEmerge Health East Africa Innovation Summit (date to be confirmed; possibly Aug/Sept. 2020).
In total, over 415 tech companies from 50 countries applied to the TechEmerge Health East Africa program. Applications went through a competitive evaluation process supported by a global network of ~30 independent expert advisors. 53 tech companies across multiple categories were identified to have market-relevant solutions that may meet the needs of participating East Africa healthcare providers (“Providers”). There are ~25 leading Providers in Kenya, Uganda and Ethiopia participating in the program, serving over 6.5 million patients across 285+ facilities, with 2,850 beds.
The selected innovators from around the world offer a range of solutions that can drive better healthcare outcomes in East Africa, including tools in Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning, Point of Care Diagnostics, Maternal & Child Health, Patient Engagement, Quality Management, Operational Efficiency and beyond.
TechEmerge brings technologies to new markets to drive sustainable innovation in regions that need it the most.
We do this by matching best-in-class, proven, affordable technology solutions from around the world with local partners in emerging markets to conduct pilot projects and build commercIal partnerships.
After successfully implementing the program in the healthcare sectors in India, followed by Brazil, IFC is now building on this knowledge and networks to bring the program to the East African healthcare sector to improve access to healthcare delivery and patient outcomes.
Over 20 leading private healthcare providers in Kenya, Uganda, and Ethiopia have signed on to the program and are interested in working with health tech companies that can address their needs. Through a competitive selection process, with the support of an network of external technical advisors, shortlisted innovators meet with local organizations to demo their products and discuss potential pilot opportunities. With our support, selected innovators and local healthcare providers partner to test and validate technologies in the local setting.
Selected innovators receive funding and guidance from the TechEmerge team to pilot their tech solutions in the East African market, with the ultimate goal of wider commercial deployment of the technologies. IFC provides support during the market-entry and tech transfer process for both innovators and healthcare providers – mitigating financial and operational risks associated with market entry for innovators and reducing adoption risks for local healthcare providers.
The TechEmerge Health East Africa program was launched at CES 2020 as part of a World Bank Group (WBG) – CES Global Tech Challenge.
- Access to robust network of East Africa health systems and potential users/buyers of technology
- Access to a pool of up to $1M in funding to support pilot projects in East Africa (competitive selection)
- Guidance from the TechEmerge team and global network of advisors to develop pilot implementation and market entry strategies
- Potential investment from IFC
WHAT’S THE CRITERIA?
- Proven product, installed with at least one health system
- Privately owned company, typically with less than 50 employees and less than US$100M in venture capital funding (with some exceptions)
- Meets the needs of the East African Healthcare Providers
- Demonstrated managerial capacity and scalability
- Ability to allocate time and resources to participate in the Project, including attending periodic meetings, and implementation of field testing/pilot project in East Africa
HOW DOES THE PROGRAM WORK?
- Assess: We identify challenges and gaps in emerging markets, talking in person with local organizations to ensure we understand which technologies could best meet their needs.
- Source: We launch an open call for innovators from around the world with market relevant solutions to apply to join the program.
- Select: With the support of a network of expert advisors, we select high-performing innovators with proven technologies that can meet the needs of participating local organizations.
- Match: Through a carefully curated process, we arrange events and meetings for the shortlisted innovators to meet local organizations, demo their products, and discuss the potential to pilot projects together.
- Pilot: With our support, selected innovators and participating organizations partner to test technologies in a local setting.
- Commercialize: If the pilot is successful, the local organization and innovator may decide to enter into a commercial contract.